Monday, November 30, 2015

So...you want to become a teacher?

I have learned so much on my journey to becoming a teacher.

I feel like I've never had it easy when it comes to getting a job as a teacher.  At the time I got my credential, there wasn't a teacher shortage like there is now.  I had to sub for 5 years before I got my job.  In the meantime, my temporary credential was expiring because California expects you to get your job by then.  I learned a lot of patience in those years.

Fast forward 5 years, I have taught 4th grade for 4 years and currently I'm an Instructional Coach for 2nd and 3rd grades.  I love my job, and I never take it for granted because I had to work so hard to get it.

  • My advice for students wanting to become teachers is to make sure you realize you will never be 100% ready.  Each year you teach is a learning opportunity for you.  Reflect on what you think went well and what you think you could improve on.  There is always something that could go better or smoother.  Know that it's OK to say, "WOW, that lesson did not go as I thought it would."  You can plan and prepare forever, but you will never predict how a lesson will go.  The best thing you can do is reflect on why it didn't go as planned.  Don't be afraid to admit that you might have been the problem for the lesson tanking. Teaching is all about reflection, learning and improving.


  • Have an open mind when it comes to listening to what other teachers have to say.  
  • Soak up all the in class experience you can get.
  • Try all different grade levels.  I never thought I would love 4th grade as much as I do.
  • You have a big job to do.  Never take it for granted.
  • Always keep learning and improving your craft.
  • Have FUN! 

3 comments:

  1. Excellent advice Angie. I agree that it is important to try all different grade levels, you never know which one will be your next favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great, Angie! I completely agree. One of the most critical lessons I learned in student teaching was the art of knowing when to stop a lesson that is going poorly. It's a big, tough, rewarding, wonderful (insane) job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great, Angie! I completely agree. One of the most critical lessons I learned in student teaching was the art of knowing when to stop a lesson that is going poorly. It's a big, tough, rewarding, wonderful (insane) job. :)

    ReplyDelete